1180 W SR 436 Altamonte Springs FL 32714 US
lawn & Garden maintenance
One of the first steps in producing and maintaining beautiful grass is to obtain an analysis of your soil.
pH Soil Testing - Testing your lawns pH is important for a healthy lawn. Turf grasses differ in their ability to thrive in Florida's acidic soil. For example: Centipede grass & Bahia grass grow better in an acidic soil with a pH between the levels of 5.0 to 6.0, whereas St. Augustine grass or Zoysia grass grow best in near neutral or alkaline soils with a pH level of 6.5 to 7.5.
Complete Soil Testing - This test will provide us with a wealth of information concerning the nutritional status of your soil and can help detect potential problems that can cause difficulty with the growth and health of your lawn.
Proper mowing practices are essential for maintaining a quality lawn.
- St. Augustine lawns should be mowed at 3 1/2 to 4 inches.
- Bermudagrass should be mowed at 2/3 to 1 1/2 inches.
- Zoysiagrass should be mowed at 2 to 2 1/2 inches.
- Mowing too short will produce shallow rooting, which causes grass to be less tolerant to drought and more susceptible to nematode problems.
- Do NOT let your lawn get over grown as cutting more than 1/3 of the blade off can stress your lawn.
- Use only sharp blades and return clippings to the lawn. Dull blades shred the leaf blades which makes recovery period of the grass take longer and can cause pest, disease and fungus problems.
All of our nitrogen based fertilizers provide a continual feed over a two month period due to the slow release of the nitrogen. In addition all of our fertilizers contain extra trace elements to keep your lawn healthy and green. Organic fertilizers are also available for your lawn.
- Since most Florida lawns consist of sandy soil, nutrients that are vital for a healthy lawn leach out of the soil extremely rapidly. Making sure to follow our fertilizing regiment will ensure that you are feeding your lawn the nutrients it needs when it needs them.
- We provide only the highest quality professional fertilizers.
- Organic fertilizers are also available for your lawn, garden and citrus trees.
- It is important to keep your trees & shrubs feed on regular increments throughout the year. This will help protect them from attach of diseases and insects.
At DIY we stock only the best professional grade selective weed killers as well as weed & feeds for all types of turf grasses. Please check out our lawn calendar to see the appropriate times to apply pre-emergent's to help prevent weed growth.
Weed Killing Tips:
- Make sure not to mow 3 days before or after applying weed killer.
- Always apply your chemicals as early in the morning as possible.
- Using a surfactant will increase absorption rate of the weed killer, and prevent the herbicide from being washed away by an untimely afternoon shower.
- Pre-emergent use is also recommended as it prevents the weed seeds from germinating and producing more weeds as you pull them out of the ground or kill them with an herbicide.
- Be patient, most weed killers take 3-4 weeks to see results.
We carry some of the most trusted names in natural organics. From top of the line organic potting soils to organic plant foods. In addition our organic insecticides are safe to use on all food producing plants & trees. Click on any of the pictures to follow the link and see what products we carry.